Instant mashed potatoes cut down the prep time for this meaty pie without sacrificing taste. This recipe is very fast and easy to put together, It's been a family favorite for decades and remains my children's most-asked-for meat loaf. —Lorraine J. Darocha, Mountain City, Tennessee
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1-3/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 envelope (7.6 ounces) butter and herb instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased deep-dish 9-in. pie plate.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Meanwhile, prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions; stir in mustard.
- Drain meat loaf; spread potatoes over top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Meat Loaf Pie in Quick Cooking March/April 2005, p56
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Meat Loaf Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review