Meat Loaf Gyros Recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 8 pita breads, halved
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Press into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160° drain.
- 3. Let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into thin slices. Place the meat loaf, onion and tomato into pita halves; drizzle with yogurt. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 360 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 996 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Reviews for Meat Loaf Gyros
"Tastes like the real thing, so easy to make, and makes for delicious left overs. Everyone I have introduced this to has loved it. I'd give 10 stars if I was able to!"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.