Being one-time caterers, my husband and I were asked to supervise our church's youth group suppers. This is the recipe I prepared for Greek Night. It was a hit with everyone. Willa Fershee, Corunna, Indiana
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 8 pita breads, halved
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Press into an ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160° drain.
- Let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into thin slices. Place the meat loaf, onion and tomato into pita halves; drizzle with yogurt. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Meat Loaf Gyros in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p102
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Meat Loaf Gyros
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 14, 2015
"Tastes like the real thing, so easy to make, and makes for delicious left overs. Everyone I have introduced this to has loved it. I'd give 10 stars if I was able to!"