Meat Loaf From the Slow Cooker Recipe
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup crushed saltines (about 10 crackers)
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. Cut three 25-in. x 3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well (mixture will be moist). Shape into a loaf. Place meat loaf in the center of the strips.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Spoon over meat loaf. Cover and cook on low 3-4 hours or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Using foil strips as handles, remove the meat loaf to a platter. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 267 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 740 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.