Meat Loaf for a Mob
Our small synagogue has two teams that alternate with churches of various denominations and civic organizations to provide meals at a homeless shelter. This tasty satisfying meat loaf is well liked there.
-Niki Reese Eschen
Santa Maria, California
32 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4-1/4 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 envelopes onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 8 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- In a very large bowl, combine the eggs, V8 juice, onions, celery,
- bread crumbs, soup mix and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix
- Shape into four loaves; place each loaf in a greased 13-in. x 9-in.
- baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Spread over
- loaves. Bake 15 minutes longer until no pink remains and a meat
- thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 4 meat loaves.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.