Meat Loaf Cake for Two Recipe
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese, divided
- Orange and green food coloring
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs, toasted
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the carrot, oats, milk, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into two 1-in. thick patties.
- 2. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear.
- 3. Meanwhile, place potatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Press through a potato ricer or strainer into a small bowl. Stir in the milk, salt and white pepper.
- 4. Place one burger on a serving plate. Spread 3/4 cup mashed potatoes over top. Top with remaining burger. Spread remaining mashed potatoes over top and sides of cake. In a small bowl, tint 4 teaspoons cream cheese orange; pipe carrots over top of cake. Tint remaining cream cheese green; pipe tops on carrots. Press bread crumbs into sides of cake. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving equals 421 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 651 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat.