- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Place onion and celery in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine the beef, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper; shape into six patties. Place over onion mixture. Combine the tomato juice, garlic, ketchup, Italian seasoning, bay leaf and remaining salt. Pour over the patties.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is no longer pink. Discard bay leaf. Separate patties with a spatula if necessary; serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Meat Loaf Burgers
Sort By :
"I added 1/4 cup parmesan to my burger mixture. These were yummy served with cheese on top also!"
"This is a great recipe but however, I do make some slight changes. I omit the onion as I do not like onion, and I add a splash of Worchester Sauce. Also along with the celery I add some baby carrots so that when the dish is finished you have your side dish ready as well. Also, I like to thicken the sauce as it is usually pretty watery, I take 2 cups of the liquid out of the crockpot, heat it to boiling in a saucepan on the stove, add cornstarch and water to the hot liquid, stir until thick and add back to the crockpot. This should be done the very latter part of the cooking process, leave the lid off after adding the liquid/corstarch mixture and cook for another 30 minutes or so until all the liquid in the crockpot is thick and coats the burgers. This is delicious and my husband loves this recipe!"
"Like bameiboo said, it doesn't taste like meatloaf. The flavor was too herbaceous for our family. I would have preferred if it tasted like meatloaf."
"I have been making this for 17 years now and everyone that eats them loves them! They are very tender, have great flavor and are so simple to make. I serve them over rice instead of on a bun."
"This is a great recipe, I will definately make this again. The flavor and tenderness of the burgers was amazing."