Meat Buns Recipe
On the outside, these golden buns resemble ordinary dinner rolls. But one bite reveals the tasty, cheesy beef filling inside. —Sharon Leno, Keansburg, New Jersey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, egg, salt and 1 cup flour; beat on low for 3 minutes. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add cabbage, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in cheese. Remove from the heat; set aside to cool.
- 4. Punch dough down and divide into 12 pieces. Gently roll out each piece into a 5-in. circle. Top each with about 1/4 cup filling. Fold dough over filling to meet in the center; pinch edges to seal.
- 5. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Brush with butter. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 199 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC