Meat-and-Potato Patties Recipe
During World War II, when meat was rationed and had to be purchased with tokens, this recipe went a long way in feeding a family. To this day, I still reach for it whenever I want something different from regular hamburgers. By the way, children really like these (just as I did when I was a child!).— Gladys Klein, Burlington Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup finely shredded potatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine beef, potatoes, onion, green pepper, egg and salt. Shape into four flat patties.
- 2. Heat oil in a skillet. Brown the patties on both sides; drain. Add tomato juice. Simmer 20-25 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Remove patties to a serving platter; keep warm.
- 3. Combine flour and water; gradually add to juice in the skillet. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Spoon over patties. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 230 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 447 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC