Meat 'n' Cheese Stromboli Recipe
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 loaves (16 ounces each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 8 ounces sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until crisp-tender; set aside.
- 2. On two greased baking sheets, roll each loaf of dough into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Arrange the salami, ham and cheeses lengthwise over half of each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with onion mixture; sprinkle with the Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal.
- 3. Brush with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).
1 slice (prepared with turkey salami and reduced-fat cheeses) equals 294 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 827 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 meat.