Meat 'n' Cheese Stromboli Recipe
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 loaves (16 ounces each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 8 ounces sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until crisp-tender; set aside.
- 2. On two greased baking sheets, roll each loaf of dough into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Arrange the salami, ham and cheeses lengthwise over half of each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with onion mixture; sprinkle with the Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal.
- 3. Brush with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).
1 slice: 294 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 827mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 meat.
Reviews for Meat 'n' Cheese Stromboli
"My family love this recipe. I sometimes add mushrooms. and black olives."
"LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! So easy to make. I 've made it for a lot of potlucks and it's always devoured and the recipe requested."
"I have made this many times. It is so good, it makes great leftovers also. I always get great reviews when I make it for our football parties."
"We love this, and it freezes well too!"