This tasty Italian-style sandwich can be served warm or at room temperature, and it heats up nicely in the microwave. Friends request it when I’m asked to bring something for a party or gathering. —Sue Shea, Defiance, Ohio
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 loaves (16 ounces each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 8 ounces sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until crisp-tender; set aside.
- On two greased baking sheets, roll each loaf of dough into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Arrange the salami, ham and cheeses lengthwise over half of each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with onion mixture; sprinkle with the Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).
Originally published as Meat 'n' Cheese Stromboli in Taste of Home June/July 2006, p37
Reviews for Meat 'n' Cheese Stromboli
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review