- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced into rings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 loaves (16 ounces each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 8 ounces sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces sliced cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until crisp-tender; set aside.
- On two greased baking sheets, roll each loaf of dough into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Arrange salami, ham and cheeses lengthwise over half of each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with onion mixture; sprinkle with Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Fold dough over filling; pinch edges to seal.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).
Reviews for Meat & Cheese Stromboli
"I also cut recipe in half to make for small gathering at office. Easy and delicious and well- received! You could use different cuts of lunchmeat and/or veggies so this recipe is versatile. Served with soup makes a great lunch!"
"Delicious! I cut the recipe in half with no problems."