McIntosh Meat Loaf
I grew up in the heart of McIntosh country, where apples were always finding their way into everything! They give ordinary meat loaf a refreshing new taste.—Lynette Nicholl, Gouverneur, New York
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter. In a large bowl, combine
- onion with remaining ingredients. Pat mixture into a 9-in. x 5-in.
- loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Remove from the oven; drain.
- Bake 30 minutes longer. Remove from the oven; drain again if
- necessary. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 295 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 662 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein.