- Meanwhile, combine first six matzo ball ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add enough water to make a thick pancake-like batter. Refrigerate
- for 2 hours (mixture thickens as it stands).
- Remove and discard onion, celery and dill from broth. Remove chicken
- and allow to cool; debone and cut into chunks. Skim fat from broth.
- Return chicken to kettle. Add the broth, salt and pepper; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer.
- To complete matzo balls, bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a 5-qt.
- Dutch oven. With very wet hands, form heaping teaspoonfuls of batter
- into balls. If mixture is too thin, stir in 1-2 tablespoons of matzo
- Drop balls into boiling water. They will sink when dropped but will
- rise in a few minutes. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove with slotted
- spoon and add to simmering soup. Add noodles; heat through. Yield:
- 18 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 168 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 882 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.