Matzo Ball Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 6 carrots, cut in half lengthwise, then into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 2 celery ribs, cut in half
- 2 sprigs fresh dill (3-inch pieces)
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked noodles
- MATZO BALLS:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 2 tablespoons rendered chicken fat or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 to 1 cup cold water
- 1. Place chicken and water in a 8-qt. soup kettle. Cover and bring to a boil; skim fat. Add carrots, onion and celery. Fold dill in half and wrap many times with thread or kitchen string; add to soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover but keep lid ajar and simmer for 2-1/2 hours.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine first six matzo ball ingredients in a medium bowl. Add enough water to make a thick pancake-like batter. Refrigerate for 2 hours (mixture thickens as it stands).
- 3. Remove and discard onion, celery and dill from broth. Remove chicken and allow to cool; debone and cut into chunks. Skim fat from broth. Return chicken to kettle. Add the broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer.
- 4. To complete matzo balls, bring 4 quarts water to a boil in a 5-qt. Dutch oven. With very wet hands, form heaping teaspoonfuls of batter into balls. If mixture is too thin, stir in 1-2 tablespoons of matzo meal.
- 5. Drop balls into boiling water. They will sink when dropped but will rise in a few minutes. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and add to simmering soup. Add noodles; heat through. Yield: 18 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 168 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 882mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Matzo Ball Soup
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.