Master Bread Dough Recipe
This is a great master recipe to use because you can turn it into many different options. You can bake it as a bread loaf, rolls, or even breadsticks! You can also add extra flavoring as you desire.—Fleischmann's Yeast
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages Active Dry or RapidRise Yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups of flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt. Heat water, milk, and butter until very warm (120°-130°). Gradually add mixture to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. With spoon, stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place kneaded dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30-60 minutes. (With RapidRise Yeast, cover kneaded dough and let rest on floured surface 10 minutes.) Shape, let rise and bake according to options below:
- 2. LOAF: (use half of dough): Roll dough into a 12-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Beginning at short end, roll up tightly as for jelly roll. Pinch seam and ends to seal. Place, seam side down, in greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; let cool on wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
- 3. ONION ROLLS: (use half of dough): Divide dough into 10 equal pieces; shape into smooth balls. Place in a greased 8-in. round baking pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30-60 minutes. Beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons dried minced onion. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until done, covering with foil during the last 5 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. Remove from pan; let cool on wire rack. Yield: 10 rolls.
- 4. SOFT HERB BREADSTICKS: (use half of dough): Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; roll each into a 15-in. rope. Twist each rope several times if desired. Place on two greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until risen slightly, about 10-20 minutes. Lightly beat 1 egg white; brush over breadsticks. Sprinkle with herbs or herb blends such as oregano, dill weed or Italian herb seasoning. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until done. Remove from sheets; let cool on wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 198 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 314 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC