Mashed Winter Vegetables Recipe
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1. Place the rutabaga, turnips, parsnips and carrots in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until tender. Drain and place the vegetables in a large bowl; mash. Add the milk, butter, salt, pepper and sugar; stir until blended. Yield: 10 servings.
2/3 cup: 89 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 362mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Mashed Winter Vegetables
"Mmmm: I omitted the carrots & parsnips, & substituted Trader Joe's unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 2 tablespoons honey. Then I sprinkled in nutmeg & cinnamon. Delicious this way."
"We love this at Thanksgiving or anytime! Just remember to take the hard center out of the parsnips before cooking!"