Mashed Potatoes with Ham
"Mashed Potatoes with Ham evolved from scalloped potatoes, which are tasty but time-consuming to bake.
"I warmed up leftover mashed potatoes, then decided to throw in some ham to save a dish," Kathy explains.
"The next time I made it, I added a cheese and crumb topping to give this casserole an appealing golden look."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared with milk with butter)
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup crushed cornflakes
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine onion and 1 tablespoon of
- butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes or until tender,
- stirring once. Add potatoes, ham, onion salt and pepper; mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese
- and cornflakes; dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at
- 375° for 15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 349 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1,020 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 16 g protein.