Mashed Potato Stuffing Recipe
It wouldn't be Christmas in our family without this satisfying stuffing made from potatoes. My mother-in-law shared the recipe years ago, and I've since passed it on to our grown children.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours YIELD:8-10 servings
- 8 cups riced cooked potatoes
- 4 cups fine soft bread crumbs
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 to 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- 1. In a bowl, combine the potatoes and crumbs; set aside. In a skillet, saute onions in butter until tender; add to potato mixture. Stir in egg substitute, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
- 2. Just before baking, stuff turkey. Skewer and fasten openings. Tie drumsticks together. Place with breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-3/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 735 calories, 30 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 221 mg cholesterol, 998 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 73 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC