Mashed Potato Stuffing
It wouldn't be Christmas in our family without this satisfying stuffing made from potatoes. My mother-in-law shared the recipe years ago, and I've since passed it on to our grown children.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 8 cups riced cooked potatoes
- 4 cups fine soft bread crumbs
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 to 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes and crumbs; set aside. In a skillet,
- saute onions in butter until tender; add to potato mixture. Stir in
- egg substitute, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Just before baking, stuff turkey. Skewer and fasten openings. Tie
- drumsticks together. Place with breast side up on a rack in a
- roasting pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-3/4 hours or
- until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165°
- for the stuffing. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Editor's Note: Stuffing may also be baked in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 735 calories,