Mashed Potato Spinach Bake
I LIKE this potato recipe because it’s a make-ahead dish and when the company rings the bell, it can be placed in the oven. Of Swedish origin, it was first served to my husband and me when we visited our daughter in Michigan and this was part of her Easter meal. She had received it from a friend.
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook spinach in a small amount of water until wilted;
- drain well.
- Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl and mash. Stir in the spinach,
- sour cream, butter, chives and seasonings.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated
- through. Yield: 8 servings.