I LIKE this potato recipe because it’s a make-ahead dish and when the company rings the bell, it can be placed in the oven. Of Swedish origin, it was first served to my husband and me when we visited our daughter in Michigan and this was part of her Easter meal. She had received it from a friend.
Recommended: 62 Christmas Potluck Sides for 12 or More
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, cook spinach in a small amount of water until wilted; drain well.
- Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl and mash. Stir in the spinach, sour cream, butter, chives and seasonings.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mashed Potato Spinach Bake in Reminisce December/January 2008, p48
Reviews for Mashed Potato Spinach Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 21, 2011
"Delicious! the seasonings all blend delicately together for a rich taste."