Mashed Potato Roses Recipe
This clever side dish turns a garden-variety meal into a 'company's coming' dinner. To save prep time, make the roses ahead and keep them covered in the fridge. Then top them with butter and paprika, and pop them into the oven shortly before eating.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 4 medium baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. In a large bowl, mash the potatoes. Beat in the egg, 2 tablespoons butter, cheese, salt, onion, parsley and pepper.
- 3. Spoon into eight mounds, about 1/2 cup each, on a greased baking sheet. To form rose petals, hold a teaspoon or tablespoon upside down and press tip of spoon all around the bottom of each mound. Repeat, forming three or four more rows of petals.
- 4. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over potato roses. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 128 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC