Mashed Potato Rolls Recipe
Potatoes are synonymous with our state. My grandmother always made these rolls, which everyone loved. Because it makes such a large batch, this recipe is great for company.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:32 servings
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-3/4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup warm mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter, optional
- 1. In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, butter, oil, sugar, egg and mashed potatoes; mix well. Stir in the salt, baking powder, baking soda and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Cover one piece. Shape the other piece into 16 balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter if desired. Yield: 32 rolls.
1 serving (1 each) equals 137 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC