- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-3/4 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup warm mashed potatoes (prepared with milk and butter)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter, optional
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, butter, oil, sugar, egg and mashed potatoes; mix well. Stir in the salt, baking powder, baking soda and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Cover one piece. Shape the other piece into 16 balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter if desired. Yield: 32 rolls.
Reviews for Mashed Potato Rolls
Sort By :
"Great Go to recipe for dinner rolls. I only modified it slightly by substituting half the white flour with whole wheat flour. I used my Kitchen Aid with the paddle to thoroughly mix the first 4 cups of flour and switched to the dough hook for the addition of the last 2 cups, kneaded on setting 2 for 6-8 minutes."
"Terrific recipe - easy to make, extremely tasty. I can't keep them in the house, because everyone grabs three of these at a time! I just mash a cooked potato without preparing it with milk and butter, since there's already plenty in the recipe. These are truly delicious and virtually foolproof."
"I'm surprised that as long as this recipe has been online no one has commented. It has a blue ribbon for a reason. They are fantastic. Rise time is a little long, but I planned for it. Light tasting, not too heavy. I will make these again for sure."