Mashed Potato Pecan Fudge
This treasured recipe goes back to my grandmother, who loved the candy as much as I do! It's easy to make and so indulgent. Be ready to hand out the recipe.—Carolyn Hayes, Johnston City, Illinois
77 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 cup butter, softened, divided
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Line an 11-in. x 7-in. pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1 teaspoon
- butter; set aside. In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate
- and remaining butter; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, vanilla and salt.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Stir in pecans
- and chocolate mixture. Spread into prepared pan. Refrigerate for 1
- hour or until firm.
- Using foil, lift fudge out of pan. Discard foil. Cut fudge into 1-in.
- squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Remove
- from the refrigerator just before serving. Yield: 1-3/4 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 51 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 13 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.