Mashed Potato Kolachkes Recipe
My husband's Bohemian mother brought a kolachke recipe with her when she came to America. So these rolls are a part of our family's heritage. Other traditional fillings are prune, poppy seed and cottage cheese. —Jan Wagner-Cuda, Deer Park, Washington
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup apricot cake and pastry filling
- 1/3 cup raspberry cake and pastry filling
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1. Place potato in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Mash potato; set aside 1/2 cup (discard or save remaining potato for another use).
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, milk, shortening, 4 tablespoons butter, egg, salt, reserved cooking liquid and mashed potato. Beat in 2 cups flour until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Turn onto a well-floured surface. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes or until almost doubled. Melt the remaining butter.
- 5. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each ball; brush with butter and fill with a rounded teaspoon of filling.
- 6. Bake at 400° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine confectioners' sugar and milk; drizzle over warm rolls. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 161 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 110 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC