Mashed Potato Doughnuts Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm buttermilk. Add potatoes, eggs and butter. Add 2 cups sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into fourths. Roll each portion to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. doughnut cutter.
- 3. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; roll doughnuts in cinnamon-sugar while warm. Yield: about 2 dozen.
1 each: 335 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Mashed Potato Doughnuts
"these doughnuts are awesome!!! all my friends are asking me for the recipe!!"
"Delicious doughnuts. They taste good without the cinnamon-sugar coating too."
"This recipe is of the same type my mother would make for our family in the early 1950's and it is very delicious."