A neighbor gave me the recipe for these yummy rolls. They're warm and wonderful to serve for breakfast of as a treat any time of day. I often make extra mashed potatoes with these cinnamon rolls in mind.—Christine Duncan, Ellensburg, Washington
- 1/2 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid; set aside. Mash potatoes; set aside 1 cup. (Save remaining potatoes for another use.)
- Heat reserved potato liquid to 110°-115°. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 2 tablespoons sugar in potato liquid; let stand 5 minutes. Add warm water, mashed potatoes, butter, eggs, sugar, milk powder, salt, vanilla and 5 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and chill overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Spread butter over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the dough.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 12 slices; place cut side down in three greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over rolls. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Mashed Potato Cinnamon Rolls in Country Woman January/February 1999, p29
Reviews for Mashed Potato Cinnamon Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review