Mashed Potato Cakes Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, lightly beat one egg. Add the onion, potatoes, flour, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce if desired.
- 2. Shape into four to six patties; place on a greased baking sheet. Lightly beat remaining egg; stir in water. Brush over potato cakes. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
2 each: 412 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 247mg cholesterol, 886mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Mashed Potato Cakes
"I make these every Monday or Tues evening after a big Sunday supper with left over mashed potatoes"
"I have eaten these my whole life,san the hot sauce,they are so very good. Like someones said, brown and flip over to brown the other side. Happy eating!"
"I did not use the hot pepper sauce. Maybe that makes the difference but we thought they were blah. If you want them brown, they need to be turned."
"first potato cake that tastes like home, I have been looking for this recipe a long time, I make these with eggs, bacon my husband loves them!!!!!!"
"My mother made these cakes often when we lived on the farm in rural Iowa. We grew potatoes in our garden & raised chickens so both were plentiful besides being an economical meal. My mother would include onions when cooking this as a dinner meal, but the onions were omitted when cooked for breakfast meal. I liked putting catsup over the hot patty while my brother liked putting the fried cake in a bread sandwich with mayonnaise."
"These are fantastic! I pan fried them in some butter over medium high heat to nice them a nice crust, if my families lucky, I won't eat them all before dinner is served; )"
"Very good. My girls don't eat potatoes and they ate this! I made it even easier by just putting in a bit of onion flakes instead of the sauted onion in butter. I didn't have hot sauce so I sprinkled in a bit of cayenne pepper."
"My husband could eat these potato cakes every other day. I sometimes make them for breakfast instead of the usual hash browns."