Mashed Potato Beef Casserole Recipe
This recipe came out of my mother's cookbook. The smudges and splatters show that Mom used it extensively to feed our large family. The tarragon really comes through to make a flavorful main dish. Now I prepare it for our four children and six grandchildren. —Helen McGeorge, Abbotsford, British Columbia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot mashed potatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Cook beef in drippings over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Toss mushrooms, onion, carrot and celery in flour; add to skillet with the broth, Worcestershire sauce, tarragon and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 3. Add bacon; transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine potatoes and 1/2 cup of cheese; spread over beef mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and remaining cheese.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 381 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 625 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC