Mashed Carrots and Turnips
This recipe has been in my family for years. It's an inexpensive and easy dish to prepare.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Place carrots and turnips in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or
- until tender.
- Drain and mash. Add the butter, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with
- parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 157 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.