VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons golden or light rum
- 1 teaspoon meringue powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons chopped candied orange peel
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- Pecan halves and halved candied cherries
- In a small bowl, combine raisins and rum. Cover and let stand overnight. Drain, reserving liquid.
- In another small bowl, dissolve meringue powder in water. Place almonds and 1/2 cup confectioners sugar in a food processor; pulse until almonds are finely ground. Add remaining confectioners' sugar; pulse until blended. Add extract, corn syrup and meringue mixture; process until mixture forms a ball. Remove and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- Crumble almond paste into a large bowl. Knead in drained raisins and candied peel. If mixture is too stiff, add enough reserved rum as necessary to soften. Divide mixture in half; shape each into a 6-in. log. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight until firm.
- Unwrap logs; brush all sides with melted chocolate. Place on waxed paper. Decorate with pecans and cherries. To serve, cut crosswise into slices. Yield: 2 yule logs (10 servings each).
Originally published as Marzipan Yule Logs in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014