Mary's Bean Tarts Recipe
This tart's main ingredient, beans, are not necessarily thought of as a dessert but these tarts are so sweet that they could be served as an appetizer or dessert.—Mary Fleming, Bow Island, Alberta
- 1 cup cooked great northern beans or pinto beans
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dried currants
- 24 prepared 3-in. tart shells
- 1. Mash or puree beans; add eggs. Add the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and nutmeg; beat well. Place a few currants in each tart shell. Add filling.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until nicely browned. Yield: 2 dozen tarts.
1 serving (1 each) equals 124 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC