Mary's Bean Tarts
This tart's main ingredient, beans, are not necessarily thought of as a dessert but these tarts are so sweet that they could be served as an appetizer or dessert.Mary Fleming, Bow Island, Alberta
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup cooked great northern beans or pinto beans
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dried currants
- 24 prepared 3-in. tart shells
- Mash or puree beans; add eggs. Add the butter, brown sugar, corn
- syrup, vanilla and nutmeg; beat well. Place a few currants in each
- tart shell. Add filling.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Yield: 2 dozen tarts.
Editor's Note: Maple flavoring can be substituted for vanilla extract, and pecans or walnuts for currants.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 124 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.