Marvelous Shells 'n' Cheese Recipe
Says Lauren Versweyveld of Delavan, Wisconsin: “This macaroni dish is so good! I adapted the recipe from one my mother makes, but she agrees that my version is rich and delicious. It’s easy to assemble and always receives rave reviews.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 package (16 ounces) medium pasta shells
- 1 package (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine process cheese and milk; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in cottage cheese and soup.
- 2. Drain pasta and add to cheese sauce; stir until coated. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese blend. Toss bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over the top.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately.
- 4. Or before baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- 5. To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cup equals 839 calories, 42 g fat (25 g saturated fat), 113 mg cholesterol, 1,636 mg sodium, 78 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 40 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC