Says Lauren Versweyveld of Delavan, Wisconsin: “This macaroni dish is so good! I adapted the recipe from one my mother makes, but she agrees that my version is rich and delicious. It’s easy to assemble and always receives rave reviews.”
- 1 package (16 ounces) medium pasta shells
- 1 package (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine process cheese and milk; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in cottage cheese and soup.
- Drain pasta and add to cheese sauce; stir until coated. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese blend. Toss bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over the top.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately.
Freeze option: Do not prepare bread crumbs until later. Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Prepare bread crumbs as directed; sprinkle over top. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Marvelous Shells 'n' Cheese in Simple & Delicious January/February 2008, p35
Reviews for Marvelous Shells 'n' Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review