- 1 large cantaloupe
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry banana gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Cut melon in half lengthwise from bud to stem end; discard seeds. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each half so melon sits level; pat dry.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in applesauce and strawberries. Pour into melon halves (discard any remaining gelatin mixture or save for another use).
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, slice each melon half into three wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Marvelous Melon
"great idea, looks very nice & colourful but couldn't eat the cantaloupe as it was too hard to cut. Don't know if a melon would be any better/softer to eat. Just glad I made a trial run the week before I had dinner guests!"
"This was an easy recipe and has a beautiful presentation; however, my family didn't like the texture of the jello made with applesauce. If I make it again, I'll make the jello with the jiggler recipe and see how that holds up."
"I did this recipe. It made a nice presentation and was very good to the taste. Thank you. Another one I tried and liked and have made many times since was the crushed pineapple with jello (hot) then add kool whip and cottage cheese when cool. Delicious and quick!"
"I made these today and they were great. I did scoop out some of the melon to have more room for the jello and when set I cut them in 4 slices each. Plan to take it to a church picnic. I cut each slice in half again and it held up fine, so I can get 16 servings out of one good sized melon. nana2boys"
"Would it be possible to use sugar free gelatin?"
"Made this for my therapy group and they were delighted with it. Thank you for the great recipe."
"Made this for Mother's Day. Was a very nice refreshing dessert. Everyone loved the colors & taste of the combination. Thanks again for the great recipes. Zena"
"Not bad just make sure when cutting it in half to cut it straight otherwise it will tilt and the jello will go all over your shelf in you refridgerator"
"I made this last weekend for our family dinner-everyone raved about them! I'm sure it will be a request again and again. The kids, ages 2-11 all loved it. It is so simple and soooooo good."