"Kids love these cantaloupe wedges filled with fruit-flavored gelatin and fresh strawberries. Even guests are impressed with this colorful dish," says Jillian Surman of Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. "For different looks, I experiment with other combinations of melons, gelatin and fruit."
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 large cantaloupe
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry banana gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Cut melon in half lengthwise from bud to stem end; discard seeds. Cut
- a thin slice off the bottom of each half so melon sits level; pat
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in
- applesauce and strawberries. Pour into melon halves (discard any
- remaining gelatin mixture or save for another use).
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Just before
- serving, slice each melon half into three wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving equals 72 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 21 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit.