Marvelous Melon Recipe
"Kids love these cantaloupe wedges filled with fruit-flavored gelatin and fresh strawberries. Even guests are impressed with this colorful dish," says Jillian Surman of Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin. "For different looks, I experiment with other combinations of melons, gelatin and fruit."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling YIELD:6 servings
- 1 large cantaloupe
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry banana gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1. Cut melon in half lengthwise from bud to stem end; discard seeds. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each half so melon sits level; pat dry.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in applesauce and strawberries. Pour into melon halves (discard any remaining gelatin mixture or save for another use).
- 3. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Just before serving, slice each melon half into three wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving equals 72 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 21 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC