- 1 package French vanilla cake mix (regular size)
- 1 carton (16 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) Mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and extracts; stir in chocolate. In another bowl, beat the Mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar, milk and extracts on medium speed until creamy (do not overmix).
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup filling. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining filling over top of cake to within 1 in. of edges. Frost sides and top edge of cake with 2 cups frosting.
- Press almonds into sides of cake. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Marvelous Cannoli Cake
Sort By :
"Just made this cake. I am thinking it is going to taste great. Way too much frosting and too runny. I had to add more powder sugar and then had so much left over. I don't think there is any need for 1/4 cup milk. Maybe add some if needed. Can hardly wait to cut into it."
"This cake is Marvelous. as is......please review cake as is ...that's what a review is all about . Not completely changing the recipe."
"It seems as though a lot of people have had problems with the frosting being too runny., so I'll omit the milk when I make it. Not keen on nuts in cakes, so will use drained and sliced apricots, strawberries ,raspberries, blueberries and pineapple. I'm going to use Cointreau instead of essence. Just found this site, and thought all the baking would be from scratch, given the title. So I was very surprised to find that a boxed cake mix was used. I've tried a Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix before, but it was too soda tasting. So I think iI'll just make a plain sponge and add some orange zest to the mix and maybe cocoa. The picture looks very nice, but as people followed the recipe and still had problems i've only given 3 stars. Perhaps they should have mentioned to drain the cheeses in the recipe, then the frosting wouldn't be runny. You could always use the liquid to make some scones."
"Great easy and tasty"
"This is a beautiful and delicious cake. The frosting is heavenly. The recipe does make a lot of frosting. I had no problems with any of the ingredients or instructions."