Marvelous Cannoli Cake Recipe
- 1 package French vanilla cake mix (regular size)
- 1 carton (16 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) Mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and extracts; stir in chocolate. In another bowl, beat the Mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar, milk and extracts on medium speed until creamy (do not overmix).
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup filling. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining filling over top of cake to within 1 in. of edges. Frost sides and top edge of cake with 2 cups frosting.
- Press almonds into sides of cake. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Marvelous Cannoli Cake(45)
Sort By :
I found this a super recipe-I will try extra flavor for the cake sounds good. Also check the quality of the Mascarpone cheese. I purchased a brand that was the more expensive of 2 and it did not get soupy! Family extremely impressed Christmas Eve. Not a morsel remained -Chef T
This was amazing! Cake came out looking like the picture. I had no problem with the frosting or the filling. Will be making this many times!
This turned out great. I added one tspn of amaretto to the cake bc I didn't have enough almond extract. I did end up mixing rum and ammaretto and brushing the mix on each side of the cake. I did two layers of filling. Delicious. I luv marscopone (think tiramisu) and am not a fan of very sweet icing. So I liked this recipe. I didn't have an issue with icing texture that some reviewers did. Again this is not a sugar icing.
I foolishly didn't read the reviews first. When exactly is the "frosting" supposed to firm up? It never turned into frosting - it's fruit dip. I salvaged the frosting by adding shortening and a cup of the very liquid substance referred to as frosting. Next time I'm using cream cheese frosting with the flavorings in the recipe. All that being said, I made this with my seven year olds, and I'll be darned, it looks just like picture!
I was a bit skeptical when deciding to make this cake, but I'm glad I took this one on--it is delicious! I am in not a patient baker, so it doesn't surprise me that I had some difficulty with this recipe. The Mascarpone cheese frosting turned out very runny. Letting it sit in the refrigerator overnight did not help to stiffen the frosting either. In the future, I will probably omit the milk altogether, or only add a few drops as needed to thin the frosting. Also, I think the recipe made too much frosting for my tastes. (I'm not a big fan of frosting to begin with though.) In the future, I will cut the frosting ingredients in half. Complaints aside, I was very pleased with this dessert. The cake was wonderfully moist and had a great flavor.
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Frosting Recipes >
- Chocolate Icing Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Frosting Recipes >