Marvelous Cannoli Cake Recipe
- 1 package French vanilla cake mix (regular size)
- 1 carton (16 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) Mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and extracts; stir in chocolate. In another bowl, beat the Mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar, milk and extracts on medium speed until creamy (do not overmix).
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup filling. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining filling over top of cake to within 1 in. of edges. Frost sides and top edge of cake with 2 cups frosting.
- Press almonds into sides of cake. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Marvelous Cannoli Cake(50)
Sort By :
I made this recipe exactly as written with no problems whatsoever. I had no problems with any of the ingredients being too "runny." It was a huge hit taste-wise and was a gorgeous cake!
I made this cake for my boyfriend's birthday and it was wonderful and very easy. I drained the ricotta cheese during the day and a little liquid came out then I continued to drain it overnight and much more came out. It was a great consistency and delicious!!! I agree with other comments about cutting the frosting in half. I had a lot left over.
Wish I had read the reviews before I made the cake. How hard would it be to add drain the ricotta to the recipe and increase the powdered sugar. Made the cake for company and hoping that it firms up in the refrigerator before they get here. I'm a little annoyed. It seems that people had to make a lot of adjustments to make this cake.....hope it tastes as good as they say. I think the original recipe is a little disappointing for a Taste of Home recipe.
Made this dessert for a family Italian Feast and it was perfect! I did drain the ricotta cheese well before mixing. I increased the confectioners sugar in the filling to1 1/2 cups and was not too sweet. For the frosting, I used 16 oz. cream cheese and only a drop or two of milk instead of the mascarpone cheese since my family loves cream cheese frosting. Beautiful presentation . Even my daughter in law said it was perfect!
Ricotta and Mascarpone need to be drained to avoid the runniness. Put them into a sieve and let them sit for an hour before you try to use them.
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Frosting Recipes >
- Chocolate Icing Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Frosting Recipes >