- 1 package French vanilla cake mix (regular size)
- 1 carton (16 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and extracts; stir in chocolate. In another bowl, beat the mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar, milk and extracts on medium speed until creamy (do not overmix).
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup filling. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining filling over top of cake to within 1 in. of edges. Frost sides and top edge of cake with 2 cups frosting.
- Press almonds into sides of cake. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Marvelous Cannoli Cake
"I made this cake for my fiance's bday as written. He really liked it, but I felt like their was just too many extracts used. The flavor of the rum and almond was too strong for my liking. If I had to make it again I'd either use way less or forgo the rum all together. My kids didn't really care for it either. I didn't have any problems with the frosting being runny. The marscapone cheese was delicious in the frosting. My favorite part of the cake! Needless to say after the first night of eating it, it sat in my fridge untouched until I threw it away days later. Probably won't make again, but IF I do I'll cut out a lot of the extracts."
"A bit of a challenge to put together but well worth the effort. It is as delicious as it looks."
"Geez people, why criticize when others give an alternative to some ingredients that you might not have or can't have?"
"I made the recipe as written and had no issues. I wonder if the bakers that had issues with runny filling or frosting used low fat ingredients. I normally use skim or part skim ricotta when cooking, and used whole milk ricotta for this recipe. It was very good and easy to assemble."
"Delicious and a nice presentation. I used chocolate cake in place of the vanilla and used only 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract in the filling. Not being a big fan of rum, I used just 1/4 teaspoon of the extract and cut the cinnamon in half as well. I was also unable to find mascarpone cheese so I made a whipped cream frosting instead. It turned out great -rich and flavorful and not too sweet."
"Has potential but the frosting needed cornstarch to thicken. It would not set on its own after hours to cool. The filling had far too much rum extract and cinnamon so it came out almost savory, both ingredients could be cut in half with slightly more sugar added. Otherwise, the recipe was sound."
"Just made this cake. I am thinking it is going to taste great. Way too much frosting and too runny. I had to add more powder sugar and then had so much left over. I don't think there is any need for 1/4 cup milk. Maybe add some if needed. Can hardly wait to cut into it."
"It seems as though a lot of people have had problems with the frosting being too runny., so I'll omit the milk when I make it. Not keen on nuts in cakes, so will use drained and sliced apricots, strawberries ,raspberries, blueberries and pineapple. I'm going to use Cointreau instead of essence. Just found this site, and thought all the baking would be from scratch, given the title. So I was very surprised to find that a boxed cake mix was used. I've tried a Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix before, but it was too soda tasting. So I think iI'll just make a plain sponge and add some orange zest to the mix and maybe cocoa. The picture looks very nice, but as people followed the recipe and still had problems i've only given 3 stars. Perhaps they should have mentioned to drain the cheeses in the recipe, then the frosting wouldn't be runny. You could always use the liquid to make some scones."