Marshmallow-Filled Banana Cupcakes Recipe
A friend gave me this recipe when I first moved into my neighborhood 40 years ago. It might seem more time consuming than it is, but it's easy and the results are incredible. —Monique Caron, Buxton, Maine
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:18 servings
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups marshmallow creme
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For filling, in a large bowl, beat butter, marshmallow creme and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. circle, 1 in. deep, in top of each cupcake. Carefully remove cut portion and set aside. Fill cavity with about 1 teaspoon filling. Replace tops, pressing down lightly. Dollop or pipe remaining filling over tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 cupcake equals 373 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC