Marshmallow-Filled Banana Cupcakes Recipe
A friend gave me this recipe when I first moved into my neighborhood 40 years ago. It might seem more time consuming than it is, but it's easy and the results are incredible. —Monique Caron, Buxton, Maine
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups marshmallow creme
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For filling, in a large bowl, beat butter, marshmallow creme and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. circle, 1 in. deep, in top of each cupcake. Carefully remove cut portion and set aside. Fill cavity with about 1 teaspoon filling. Replace tops, pressing down lightly. Dollop or pipe remaining filling over tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 cupcake equals 373 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC