- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups marshmallow creme
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 18 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat butter, marshmallow creme and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. circle, 1 in. deep, in top of each cupcake. Carefully remove cut portion and set aside. Fill cavity with about 1 teaspoon filling. Replace tops, pressing down lightly. Dollop or pipe remaining filling over tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Marshmallow-Filled Banana Cupcakes
"Wonderful cupcakes. Was a little hard to make due to being messy. But, now that I know how, the next ones will be a breeze and YES, I will make these often! Took some to work and everyone is begging for repeats!"
"These were really good. My kids love marshmallows so this was a huge hit. They are a bit on the sweet side so you could omit the filling to reduce the sweetness."
"These were just a little too sweet with the filling and icing. If I make them again I will either fill them or ice them not both but the actual cupcake recipe was very good"
"Excellent! I added coconut to the batter and they were delicious. My husband isn't a "cupcake" person and said that these were possibly the best cupcakes he has ever had."
"What is marshmallow creme? Is it the same as marshmallow fluff? Im going to try it with marshmallow fluff"