This dessert has always been a favorite of my husband and children. The original recipe came from my great-grandmother and has been passed down through the generations.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Fresh raspberries
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat with a portable mixer on high speed until mixture reaches 160°. Beat until stiff peaks form, about 1 minute. Spoon into dessert glasses; refrigerate until chilled.
- For custard sauce, heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles form around side of pan. Remove from heat. Combine egg yolks, egg and sugar in a bowl. Whisk a small amount of hot milk into egg mixture; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir on low until mixture reaches 160° and coats a spoon, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve custard over marshmallow cream; top with raspberries. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Marshmallow Cream with Custard Sauce in Country June/July 2000, p51
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Marshmallow Cream with Custard Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 28, 2008