"This side dish is ideal when you'd like to serve your vegetables in a different way for a special dinner," says Barb Rudyk of Vermilion, Alberta. Cinnamon and nutmeg season baby carrots that are simmered with orange marmalade and brown sugar.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 5-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds fresh baby carrots
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons cold water,divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the carrots, marmalade, 1 tablespoon
- water, brown sugar, butter and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for
- 5-6 hours or until carrots are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into carrot
- mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 159 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 252 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein.