I live in the heart of citrus country and think this cookie really captures that area's flavor. Orange marmalade, juice and peel give the cookie and frosting a delightful tropical taste.
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in marmalade and pecans if desired.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, butter and orange peel until blended. Add enough orange juice to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Marmalade Chews in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p31
Reviews for Marmalade Chews
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review