- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram or 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup sherry or additional vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute the carrots, onions and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, lentils, marjoram and sage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, sherry or additional broth and parsley; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Marjoram Lentils
"This is a real winner. I did not have Sherry so I subbed Marsala and a little lemon juice. Wow! This is a fantastic dish!"
"This was so hearty,filling and healthy. Just right on a cold winter day. I added a jalapeno pepper for a little heat. Next time I plan to add a small amount of chopped spinach or other greens to make it even healthier."