Marinated Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 1. Combine the first seven ingredients; set aside 1 cup for basting. Pour remaining marinade into a 2-gal. resealable plastic bag. Add the turkey and seal bag; turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight, turning several times. Cover and refrigerated reserved marinade
- 2. Drain and discard marinade.
- 3. Grill Method: Prepare grill for indirect medium heat. Tuck wings under turkey and place with breast side down on grill rack. Grill, covered, for 1 hour.
- 4. If using a charcoal grill, add 10 briquettes to coals; turn the turkey. Baste with reserved marinade. Cover and cook for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, adding 10 briquettes to maintain heat and brushing with marinade every 30 minutes until thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Remove turkey from grill; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- 5. Conventional Roasting Method: Preheat oven to 325°. Place turkey on a rack in a large roaster. Bake, uncovered, 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Baste frequently with reserved marinade. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil. Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with turkey. Yield: 12 servings.
9 ounces cooked turkey (calculated without gravy) equals 407 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 171 mg cholesterol, 383 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 67 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer