Marinated Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 1. Combine the first seven ingredients; set aside 1 cup for basting. Pour remaining marinade into a 2-gal. resealable plastic bag. Add the turkey and seal bag; turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight, turning several times. Cover and refrigerated reserved marinade
- 2. Drain and discard marinade.
- 3. Grill Method: Prepare grill for indirect medium heat. Tuck wings under turkey and place with breast side down on grill rack. Grill, covered, for 1 hour.
- 4. If using a charcoal grill, add 10 briquettes to coals; turn the turkey. Baste with reserved marinade. Cover and cook for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, adding 10 briquettes to maintain heat and brushing with marinade every 30 minutes until thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Remove turkey from grill; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- 5. Conventional Roasting Method: Preheat oven to 325°. Place turkey on a rack in a large roaster. Bake, uncovered, 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Baste frequently with reserved marinade. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil. Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with turkey. Yield: 12 servings.
9 ounces cooked turkey (calculated without gravy): 407 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 171mg cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 67g protein .
Reviews for Marinated Thanksgiving Turkey
"I let out the ginger and lemon juice"
"makes a tasty lovely turkey. good grilled and in conventional oven"
"I have been making this brine for over 10 years...it's the best!"
"I made this recipe for our first Thanksgiving at home. Wow. My husband couldn't stop stuffing his face - and he doesn't generally like turkey!"
"This was absolutely fantastic. I made a few tweeks to suit our taste - I did not add lemon juice or the ground ginger but otherwise followed the recipe to a "T." I did use the convetional roasting method and wrapped the turkey in tin foil to help the turkey stay moist. The drippings made an excellent gravy as well. Yummy!!!"
"This recipe is wonderful. We have been making it for years. I also passed it on to my sisters and now they have made it their tradition. The turkey comes out with a great flavor on the grill or in the oven."
"yea, I'm going to try this year. Thankyou"
"I have made this recipe for the last 9 years and everyone loves it. The turkey is so moist. I cook mine in my convection oven."
"I have made this turkey every Thanksgiving for the last 3 yrs and it is always so tasty and moist, everyone loves it!! Also very easy to make!"
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer