Marinated Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large oven roasting bags
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 1. Combine the first seven ingredients; set aside and refrigerate 1 cup for basting. Place one oven roasting bag inside the other. Place turkey inside both bags; pour in remaining marinade. Seal bags, pressing out as much air as possible; turn to coat turkey. Place in a shallow roasting pan. Refrigerate overnight, turning several times.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade.
- 3. Conventional roasting method: Preheat oven to 325°. Place turkey on a rack in a large roaster. Bake, uncovered, 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in a thigh reads 170°. Baste frequently with reserved marinade. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil. Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with turkey.
- 4. Grill method: Prepare grill for indirect medium heat. Tuck wings under turkey and arrange breast side down on grill rack. Grill, covered, for 1 hour.
- 5. If using a charcoal grill, add 10 briquettes to coals; turn the turkey. Baste with reserved marinade. Cook, covered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, adding 10 briquettes to maintain heat and brushing with marinade every 30 minutes until thermometer inserted in thigh reads 170°. Remove turkey from grill; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. Yield: 12 servings.
9 ounces cooked turkey (calculated without gravy): 407 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 171mg cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 67g protein.
Reviews for Marinated Thanksgiving Turkey
"I used this marinade last yr and it was a hit. There was no turkey left. So I'm using the same marinade this yr. The turkey is so juicy and has a different taste but very delicious..The one thing I'm going to do differently is , I'm going to inject the marinade right into the turkey.. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!"
"I let out the ginger and lemon juice"
"makes a tasty lovely turkey. good grilled and in conventional oven"
"I have been making this brine for over 10 years...it's the best!"
"This was absolutely fantastic. I made a few tweeks to suit our taste - I did not add lemon juice or the ground ginger but otherwise followed the recipe to a "T." I did use the convetional roasting method and wrapped the turkey in tin foil to help the turkey stay moist. The drippings made an excellent gravy as well. Yummy!!!"
"This recipe is wonderful. We have been making it for years. I also passed it on to my sisters and now they have made it their tradition. The turkey comes out with a great flavor on the grill or in the oven."
"yea, I'm going to try this year. Thankyou"
"I have made this recipe for the last 9 years and everyone loves it. The turkey is so moist. I cook mine in my convection oven."