Marinated Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- Combine the first seven ingredients; set aside 1 cup for basting. Pour remaining marinade into a 2-gal. resealable plastic bag. Add the turkey and seal bag; turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight, turning several times. Cover and refrigerated reserved marinade
- Drain and discard marinade.
- Grill Method: Prepare grill for indirect medium heat. Tuck wings under turkey and place with breast side down on grill rack. Grill, covered, for 1 hour.
- If using a charcoal grill, add 10 briquettes to coals; turn the turkey. Baste with reserved marinade. Cover and cook for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, adding 10 briquettes to maintain heat and brushing with marinade every 30 minutes until thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Remove turkey from grill; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- Conventional Roasting Method: Preheat oven to 325°. Place turkey on a rack in a large roaster. Bake, uncovered, 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Baste frequently with reserved marinade. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil. Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with turkey. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Marinated Thanksgiving Turkey
Sort By :
"I let out the ginger and lemon juice"
"makes a tasty lovely turkey. good grilled and in conventional oven"
"I have been making this brine for over 10 years...it's the best!"
"I made this recipe for our first Thanksgiving at home. Wow. My husband couldn't stop stuffing his face - and he doesn't generally like turkey!"