Marinated Pork with Caramelized Fennel Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 pork tenderloins (3/4 pound each)
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fennel fronds, optional
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first nine ingredients; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Place fennel in a large bowl; drizzle with 4-1/2 teaspoons oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 30-35 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- 3. Meanwhile, drain and discard marinade. In a large ovenproof skillet, brown pork in remaining oil on all sides. Place skillet in oven; bake pork for 18-22 minutes or until a thermometer reads 145°.
- 4. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with roasted fennel. Garnish with fennel fronds if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
3 ounces cooked pork with 2/3 cup fennel equals 292 calories, 19 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 535 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.