"This flavorful fruit was actually the topping in a cake recipe. But I didn't want all the calories or fat from the cakeand the oranges are a good dessert all by themselves!" reports Norridge, Illinois' Carol Poindexter. "The dash of vanilla extract brings out the fruit's sweetness."
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + marinating
- 4 medium orange, peeled and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla yogurt, optional
- Place the orange slices in an 8-in. square dish; set aside. In a
- bowl, combine the orange juice, sugar, lemon juice, peels and
- vanilla; pour over the oranges. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Serve with a slotted spoon. Top with vanilla yogurt if desired.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup fruit, calculated without yogurt) equals 88 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit.