Marinated Broccoli Salad
Martha Smith relies on bottled salad dressing to flavor this crunchy veggie combination. "A bowlful makes a nice presentation at the table," promises the Rockledge, Georgia cook. "You're the only person who has to know how simple it is to make!"
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) Italian salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the broccoli, carrots,
- onions, olive and pimientos. Add dressing and sugar; seal bag and
- turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, turning
- Just before serving, transfer to a serving bowl; stir in walnuts if
- desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with fat-free Italian dressing and without walnuts) equals 59 calories, 378 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 11 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, 1 gm fat, 3 gm fiber. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable.